If you are still learning English, then you can request to complete the ESL Placement Process in Canvas, which will place you in an ESL class that matches your skill level. The ESL Placement Process is free of cost; allow up to one to two weeks for placement processing.
View the CRC ESL Course Sequence.
Request Information for ESL Placement Process
If you are interested in placement for English as a Second Language courses, fill out the form below.
Before You Complete the ESL Placement Process
To complete the ESL Placement process, students must:
- Complete an application for Cosumnes River College if you are a new student or the supplemental application if you are a continuing student.
- Obtain your student ID number. Check your w-ID emails (email@example.com).
- When applying, be sure to select CRC as your campus.
- If you provided your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on your CRC application, you will receive an email with your Los Rios ID number. See Student ID Lookup for help.
- Students who submit an application without a Social Security Number (SSN), work authorization SSN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) will need to fill out a Student ID Help Form to process their application and receive their student ID number.
After Completion of the ESL Placement Process
ESL Placements will be available in one to two weeks. You can find your results by logging into your eServices account using your Los Rios Student ID number and password, click on Academic Records, then Placements. Placements are valid for two years and will count as your prerequisite for entering that level or any lower-level if you choose.
Once you have your placement results, if you have declared a major, you are encouraged to make an appointment to speak with a CRC Counselor to create your Student Education Plan.
Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) Accommodations
If special accommodations are needed for testing or if students have disabilities, they should contact the DSPS office prior to the placement process.
To be eligible for the Placement Process, students must comply with districtwide placement practices (effective October 1, 2015). Generally, retesting is not allowed if coursework has started or within two years of your last test. See the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below.
Standard Placement Practices FAQs
The Los Rios Community College District, effective October 1, 2015, has established standard assessment/placement practices for all four colleges, including important changes to retesting rules. These new practices will apply to every student, regardless of which college(s) they attend.
- Student must be officially “active” or enrolled for the term – fall, spring or summer – at the college where and when they intend to complete the ESL placement process.
- After you receive your student ID number, set up your eServices account.
- Access your Los Rios gmail from the same student login link.
- Submit a Request Information for ESL Placement Process form to the Placement Office. If eligible to complete the process, you will receive an email with further instructions.
Students may retest only one time, districtwide.
Students may retest after a 30-calendar-day waiting period.
No. Students may not test or retest after having started the course sequence. However, they may utilize the course challenge process in their college’s appropriate academic department.
Students with expired test results may retest if they have not begun the course sequence. If they have begun the course sequence, they may utilize the course challenge process in their college’s appropriate academic department.
For tests taken after Feb. 16, 2013, go to either the September 15 or February 15 date that follows the original test date (whichever comes first), and then add two calendar years.
|If you took the test between:||Test results expire:|
|February 16, 2014 and September 15, 2014||September 15, 2016|
|September 16, 2014 and February 15, 2015||February 15, 2017|