Skip to Content


Place into the Right Classes

Once you have completed orientation, you can move on to placement/assessment. The purpose of this step is to help you succeed by placing you in English and math classes that match your skill level.

Know Your Rights: The AB 705 Initiative and What it Means for Students

California law (Assembly Bill 705) essentially eliminated the use of assessment tests for purposes of determining the placement of students into transfer-level math and English courses in community colleges.

Research shows that California students are far more prepared than assessment tests have acknowledged. A student's high school performance is a much stronger predictor of success in transfer-level courses than standardized placement tests.

AB 705 requires colleges to take into account high school coursework, high school grades, and high school grade point average when determining math and English placement upon enrollment.

For more information, please watch the video below,  Know Your Rights: The AB 705 Initiative and What it Means for Students:

Using High School Records for Placement

You will be automatically placed into English and math classes if you:

  • Graduated from a US high school within the last ten years
  • Included all of the requested information about your high school records on your college application

You can view your placement results in your eServices account. From your eServices dashboard, click on the Academic Records tile, then Placements.

Submit Your High School Records for Placement

If you graduated from a US high school within the last ten years, but you did not report your high school information on your application, then you can email your unofficial high school transcripts to CRC's Assessment Center at to receive your English and math course placements. Alternatively, you can drop off your transcripts to the Student Access Center in the Library building at the main campus.

Use College Records for Placement

If you attended another college (outside of Los Rios), then you can provide college transcripts showing that you passed certain classes. Additional forms may be necessary depending on the college and course.

Please review the pre-approved course lists:

If your course is included on the pre-approved list, please bring either an official or unofficial transcript to the Admissions & Records Office, along with the appropriate Math Clearance Challenge Form (PDF) or the English Prerequisite Clearance/Challenge Form (PDF). Admissions & Records staff will assist you with getting the prerequisite cleared.

If you do not see your non-Los Rios course listed, you will need to challenge the prerequisite by completing a Math Clearance Challenge Form (PDF) and submitting to the Math Department located in the Science Building, SCI 501 or by fax to (916) 691-7437.

Use Guided Self-Placement

If you have been out of high school for more than 10 years, have foreign high school transcripts, or left high school without graduating, then you should use the guided self-placement process to figure out what English and math courses to take. Please email the Placement Office at or call (916) 691-7332, or see a counselor to obtain the guided self-placement link. After completing guided self-placement, your placements will be updated in our enrollment system overnight.

Placement for Advanced Education Students

The CRC Counseling department can answer any questions Advanced Education students may have regarding placement into math or English classes at CRC. Please call (916) 691-7316, visit the Advanced Education page, or email

English as a Second Language (ESL) Testing

If you are still learning English, then you can take an ESL assessment test, which will place you in an ESL class that matches your skill level. ESL testing is available while CRC is operating remotely. See the ESL Placement page for information.

Visit the ESL Placement Page

Acceptance of Other Test Results

CRC accepts assessment results from other Los Rios Colleges (American River College, Folsom Lake College, and Sacramento City College). We do not accept results from any other colleges. Also, we do not accept EAP test results, SAT scores, or ACT scores.

CRC does grant credit towards its degrees for other successfully completed exams and programs, such as AP, IB and others. Please see the College Catalog Alternative Credit/Study Options for further information.

Contact Us

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8:00 am to 4:30 pm

Student Access Center
Library Building, L 125

(916) 691-7332 or (916) 691-7571