Skip to Content
Home Catalog While You Are Here College and Academic Regulations


Print Options

College and Academic Regulations

Academic Freedom

Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom (American Association of University Professors)
  • The purpose of this statement is to promote public understanding and support of academic freedom and tenure and agreement upon procedures to ensure them in colleges and universities. Institutions of higher education are conducted for the common good and not to further the interest of either the individual teacher or the institution as a whole. The common good depends upon the free search for truth and its free exposition.
  • Academic freedom is essential to these purposes and applies to both teaching and research. Freedom in research is fundamental to the advancement of truth. Academic freedom in its teaching aspect is fundamental for the protection of the rights of the teacher in teaching and the freedom of the student in learning. It carries with it duties correlative with rights.
  • Teachers are entitled to freedom in the classroom in discussing their subject, but they should be careful not to introduce into their teaching controversial matter, which has no relation to their subject.
  • College and university teachers are citizens, members of a learned profession, and officers of an educational institution. When they speak or write as citizens, they should be free from institutional censorship or discipline, but their special position in the community imposes special obligations. As scholars and educational officers, they should remember that the public may judge their profession and their institution by their utterances. Hence they should at all times be accurate, should exercise appropriate restraint, should show respect for the opinions of others, and should make every effort to indicate that they are not speaking for the institution.

Academic Honors

The distinction of honors and highest honors is noted on a student's transcript for each semester in which a student has enrolled in twelve (12) units or more and has earned a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 (honors) or 3.5 or higher (highest honors). Students earning highest honors will be notified by email of their eligibility to join the honor society, Phi Theta Kappa. Students earning honors or highest honors may be eligible to participate in the Honors Program.

Honors at Graduation

Students who maintain a high grade point average are eligible for honors at graduation. Students who maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or better are eligible for graduation with honors, and students who maintain a grade point average of 3.5 or better are eligible for graduation with highest honors. All undergraduate level coursework that a student has completed is used to calculate honors at graduation (including coursework taken outside of Los Rios). For ADT degrees, only transfer-level, undergraduate coursework is used.

The published lists of students are compiled from the data available at the time of publication and may be subject to subsequent revision.

Academic Renewal Without Course Repetition

A student may petition to have previous sub-standard grades (a D, F, or NP) earned at Cosumnes River College discounted. Courses and grades which no longer reflect a student's current educational objective and current level of academic success may upon petition be discounted in the computation of the grade point average (Title 5, Section 55046). The following conditions must apply:

  • A minimum of twelve (12) consecutive months shall have elapsed since the end of the semester or summer session in which the work to be alleviated was recorded; and a minimum of twelve (12) semester units (or its equivalent) with a grade of C or Pass/Credit or better shall have been attained. The coursework must have been completed at a regionally accredited college.
  • Current educational objectives must be discussed with a counselor and the counselor's recommendation must be included on the petition.
  • No more than thirty (30) units of substandard grades may be discounted.
  • Under no circumstances may course work be discounted if it was used to fulfill requirements for a degree or certificate that has been awarded.
  • All grades remain on the permanent record and transcript of grades. However, a proper notation on the transcript will indicate the specific grades that were discounted from the grade point average.
  • Once elected, the academic renewal cannot be reversed.
  • Academic renewal is not intended for courses that are required and/or will be repeated.

Students with questions regarding this policy or who want to initiate a petition should contact the Counseling office.


For students to successfully complete their college work, regular class attendance is necessary, and students are expected to attend all sessions of classes in which they are enrolled. See Los Rios Regulation R-2222.

All students who remain enrolled in a class after the last day to withdraw (see the academic calendar) will be issued a letter grade for the course. If a student has stopped attending but not dropped the class, the student may receive an F grade for the course on their permanent record. Exception to this policy involves completion of the Student Petition, with appropriate signatures and documentation of extenuating circumstances.

Excessive Absences

Students are expected to attend all sessions of the class in which they are enrolled. Any student with excessive absences may be dropped from class (Title 5, Section 58004).

Per Los Rios Regulation R-2222, a student may be dropped from any class when that student's absences exceed six percent (6%) of the total hours of class time. Instructors shall state in each course syllabus what constitutes excessive absences for that course.

Non-Attendance at First Class

Per Los Rios Regulation R-2222, students who fail to attend the first session of a class may be dropped by the instructor.

Auditing Courses

Cosumnes River College does not permit auditing of classes. Auditing is defined as attending a course without having enrolled in the course, without responsibility for completing assignments, and without receiving a grade or credit.

Catalog Rights

For the purpose of graduating or earning a certificate from any college in the Los Rios Community College District, a student who attends at least one session (whether quarter, semester, or summer) in each calendar year at any California community college, California State University, University of California, or any regionally accredited institution of higher education, may choose to meet the requirements in effect at the Los Rios college from which the student intends to graduate, as follows:

  • Requirements that were in effect at the time the student was admitted to a Los Rios college
  • Requirements that were in effect at the time the student originally enrolled in an accredited college
  • Requirements that were in effect at the intended date of graduation from a Los Rios college

Please note:

  • A college may authorize or request substitution for discontinued courses.
  • Students who change their major field of study may be required to complete those requirements for the major in effect at the point of change.
  • For purposes of this section, "attendance" means taking classes in at least one session (semester or summer session) in each calendar year. Absence for attendance at another regionally accredited institution shall not be considered an interruption in attendance, per Los Rios Policy P-7242.

Change of Address and/or Name

Requests to have a student's name changed are submitted directly to the Admissions & Records office. In order for this type of request to be processed, documentation (such as a marriage license, court documents, or naturalization papers) is required to verify a legal name change.

Students should report a change of address immediately. Changes can be submitted online in eServices or by submitting a Change of Data form to the Admissions & Records office. Cosumnes River College is not responsible for misdirected mail if the address change is not provided by the student.

Students can submit birth date and social security number corrections to the Admissions & Records office along with proper documentation (official birth certificates or social security verification).

Course Repetition and Repeatability

Repetition of courses must be conducted by all California community colleges in compliance with Title 5, Sections 55040 through 55046.

Course Repetition Where Substandard Grade is Recorded

Where a student has received a substandard grade in a course taken at a college, a student may repeat that course up to a maximum of two (2) times in an effort to alleviate the substandard academic grade. Substandard grade is defined as a notation of D, F, NC (No Credit), or NP (No Pass). This regulation is effective across all Los Rios colleges.

The grade and credits earned in the final enrollment shall be used exclusively in determining the grade points earned for that particular course (Title 5, Section 55042).

Repeatable Courses

Courses taken where a grade of C or better was earned cannot be repeated. There are, however, certain specialized courses that are designated as "repeatable" and are listed as such in the course description. These include:

  • Courses for which repetition is necessary to meet the major requirements of CSU or UC for completion of a bachelor's degree
  • Intercollegiate athletics and their related conditioning courses may be repeated to meet requirements for California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) eligibility.
  • Intercollegiate academic or vocational competition courses with the primary purpose to prepare students for competition
  • Variable unit courses that are open entry/exit such as math, reading, and writing laboratory courses. Students may re-enroll in these courses as many times as necessary to complete one time the entire curriculum of the course.
  • Work Experience courses, which can be taken again when there is new or expanded learning on the job for a maximum of six (6) to sixteen (16) units.
Repetition Without Substandard Grades

Unless a specific exception applies, a student who has received a satisfactory grade shall not repeat the course. Satisfactory grade is defined as A, B, C, P (Pass), or CR (Credit). There are special circumstances that allow for repetition. However, the student must submit a petition requesting the course repetition. These include:

  • Students may repeat a course where a course is required by a statute or regulation as a condition of continued paid or volunteer employment, or as a result of a significant change in industry or licensure standards such that repetition is necessary for employment or licensure. These repetitions are not limited and are granted based on the college's verification of established legal mandates (Cal. Code Regs., Title 5, section 55040).
  • Students may repeat a course if there has been a significant lapse of time since the first grade was obtained, and:
    • If the college has a properly established recency prerequisite for a course or program (Title 5, Section 55043).
    • If the college finds that another institution of higher education to which the student seeks to transfer has established a recency requirement which the student shall not be able to satisfy without repeating the course in question (Title 5, Section 55043)
  • The college finds that the student's most recent previous grade is, at least in part, the result of extenuating circumstances. Extenuating circumstances are verified cases of accident, illness, or other circumstances beyond the student's control. This is a one-time exception.
  • A special course that can be repeatable by petition so that a particular student can be approved to repeat it as a disability-related accommodation.
Limitations on Active Participatory Courses

Active participatory courses are those courses where individual study or group assignments are the basic means by which learning objectives are obtained. These include kinesiology/physical education (PE) active participatory courses, as well as visual and performing arts active participatory courses (theatre arts, music, and art). Some courses in these categories are related in content and have been placed in groups that the Los Rios colleges are calling "families" of courses. Each family of courses allows for skill development beyond an introductory level.

Students are limited to taking a maximum of four courses in any one family across all four Los Rios colleges, regardless of how many courses there are. Sometimes a family of courses may include more than four. For example, the Modern Dance Technique family of courses across the four Los Rios colleges includes five courses – DANCE 330 through DANCE 334 (Modern Dance I, II, III, IV, and V).

In addition, if a student gets a substandard grade [a notation of D, F, NC (No Credit), NP (No Pass), or W (Withdrawal)] in any course within a family, the substandard grade counts as one of the four course limitations in the family. The list of families of courses is available in the Counseling office. Please consult with a counselor for more information.

Course Time Conflict/Course Overlap

Students may not enroll in two classes that meet during part of the same hour, except through a petition process. The student must state their justification for enrolling in the overlapping class, and instructors must indicate how the missed time will be made up (Title 5, Section 58031).

Good Standing

In determining a student's eligibility to acquire or remain in good standing at Cosumnes River College, both quality of performance and progress toward completion of objectives are considered. A student who completes 12 or more semester units, earns a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 grading scale, and completes more than 50 percent of all enrolled units, merits good standing with the college. Students in good standing are limited to 18 units per semester. In exceptional cases, a student may initiate a petition with a counselor to exceed the 18-unit limit.

Grades and Grade Point Averages (GPA)

Types of Grades
Letter Grade Explanation Grade Points Per Unit
A Excellent Four (4) grade points per unit
B Good Three (3) grade points per unit
C Satisfactory Two (2) grade points per unit
D Passing (not satisfactory) One (1) grade point per unit
F Failing Zero (0) grade points per unit
P Pass (C or better) Not computed in GPA
NP No Pass (less than C) Not computed in GPA; affects progress probation and dismissal
I Incomplete Not computed in GPA; affects progress probation and dismissal
W Withdrawal Not computed in GPA; affects progress probation and dismissal
EW Excused Withdrawal Not computed in GPA; does not affect progress probation and dismissal; does not count as one of your three attempts
Grade Point Average

The grade point average is found by taking the (Total Grade Points Earned) divided by (Total units attempted with a letter grade).

Progress Percentage

The progress percentage is found by taking the (Total units with W, I and NC) divided by (Total units enrolled).

Pass/No Pass Grading

You may choose one course each semester from courses that allow Pass/no Pass (P/NP) grading. A petition must be filed with the admissions office before the deadline published in the Class Schedule. A grade earned with an "A", "B" or "C" grade will be recorded as P with Grade Points Per Unit. A "D" or "F" grade will be recorded as NP with no Grade Points Per Unit. Units attempted for P/NP grades are not computed in the grade point average but are used for determining progress probation and dismissal. Once you have filed for P/NP grading in a course, it cannot be changed to a letter grade. No more than 15 units of Pass/No Pass may be applied toward an AA or AS degree.

Incomplete Grading

An instructor may assign an incomplete grade, "I", when the instructor believes the student cannot complete the requirements of the class before the end of the semester due to unforeseeable emergency and justified reasons. To receive credit for the class, the student must finish the incomplete work within one year after the end of the semester. After the work is completed and evaluated, or when the time has expired, a final grade will be assigned. A student receiving an incomplete may not reenroll in the class.

In Progress

If you receive an "in-progress" grade, you must re-enroll in the class in the next semester. If you don't re-enroll, a grade will be assigned in lieu of the "in-progress."

Withdrawal from Class

A student may officially drop a class without notation on the permanent academic record/transcript prior to the point in which 15% of a class has occurred (see the academic calendar for withdrawal deadlines). Withdrawals occurring after this time, and before the point in which 75% of the class has occurred, shall result in a W notation on the permanent academic record/transcript. Official withdrawals are those that have been processed via eServices or in the Admissions and Records office.

A W grade on the permanent academic record/transcript is used for determining progress probation and progress dismissal. No withdrawals are permitted during the last 25% of a course (see academic calendar for deadlines), except due to extenuating circumstances (verified cases of accidents, illness, or other circumstances beyond the control of the student), for which a student may request withdrawal through the student petition process. After consultation with the instructor and with administrative approval, the grade may be recorded as a W rather than as a less than satisfactory or failing grade on the permanent academic record/transcript. In all other cases, after the 75% date, a student will receive a grade in the course.

Military withdrawal is available for students who are members of an active or reserve military service, and who receive orders compelling a withdrawal from courses. Students requesting military withdrawal must file a student petition and include supporting documentation.

Excused withdrawal is available when a student is permitted to withdraw from a course(s) due to specific events beyond the control of the student making his or her ability to complete a course(s) impractical. These events may include a job transfer outside the geographical region, an illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver, when the student who is incarcerated in a California state prison or county jail is released from custody or involuntarily transferred before the end of the term, when the student is the subject of an immigration action, or other extenuating circumstances. Excused withdrawal shall not be counted in progress probation and dismissal calculation. Excused withdrawal shall not be counted toward the permitted number of withdrawals or counted as an enrollment attempt.

Remedial Unit Limitation

The California Community Colleges Board of Governors has adopted regulations limiting the number of remedial course units a student may take to 30. These courses are usually numbered 1 through 99. Students may petition for a waiver to the 30-unit limitation through a counselor. However, federal financial aid does not allow a student to receive aid for more than 30 remedial units.


Order Transcripts Online

Current and former students can order transcripts and authorize the release of student records online. Students must submit a separate order for each Los Rios college they attended.

Order Transcripts Online

Unit/Academic Load

Per Los Rios Regulation R-7211: Maximum and Recommended Academic Load, 15 units each semester is considered a full load. 12 units each semester is a minimum full-time load and is usually acceptable to qualify for scholarships, grants, loans, and holding student offices.

Fall/Spring Semester

18 units per semester is a maximum load. The unit limit is district-wide. A petition to exceed the maximum load must be submitted in writing to the college at which the additional units will be taken prior to registration. A student may petition up to a maximum of six (6) additional units (for a total of 24 units) district-wide through this process.

Summer Session

Eight (8) units per summer session is a maximum load. The unit limit is district-wide. A petition to exceed the maximum load must be submitted in writing to the college at which the additional units will be taken prior to registration. A student may petition up to a maximum of four (4) additional units (for a total of 12 units) district-wide through this process.

Special Considerations

Full governmental subsistence for veterans and dependents requires the unit load of twelve (12) units (with reduced benefit amounts dependent on the total number of enrolled units).

The following categories require the minimum unit load indicated:

  • International students – twelve (12) units
  • Student-athletes – twelve (12) units, including kinesiology/physical education

Unit of Credit

Units of credit are assigned to courses based on the "Carnegie Unit," which assigns one unit of credit for three hours of work by the student per week. Usually this means one hour of lecture or discussion led by the instructor and two hours of outside preparation by the student. In laboratory courses, three hours of work in the laboratory are normally assigned one unit of credit which may include some additional preparation outside of class time. Students can find the number of units of credit with each course description.