International Student Admission Steps
International students are those who are attending college in the US on an F-1 visa. International students are a very important part of the growing college community.
Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) March 2020 Guidance
In accordance with the March 2020 guidance from the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), prospective F-1 visa students in new/initial status cannot enter the United States to enroll in a US school as a nonimmigrant student to pursue a full course of study that is 100% online.
Not an International Student?
If you are not an international student, then you may need to follow different steps. Find out what type of student you are and get the correct steps for you!
Apply to Cosumnes River College
Create an OpenCCC account using a personal email (or log in if you already have an account) and fill out the online application for Cosumnes River College.
A social security number (SSN) is not required to apply.
Students who submit an application without a social security number (SSN), work authorization SSN, or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) will need to fill out a Student ID Help Form to process their application and receive their student ID number.
After you submit this application, save or print your confirmation page. You will need a copy of the confirmation page to submit with your international student application packet.
High School Seniors
If you are graduating high school before June and applying for the fall semester, then enter the information on your application as if you have already graduated.
Get Help With Your Application
Submit Additional Required Documents
Cosumnes River College has SEVP certification, which allows it to issue Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status Form I-20. International students can use Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa to enter the US.
The following documents are required for Cosumnes River College to issue Form I-20
- Evidence of English Proficiency
- Official TOEFL test result of 500 minimum (written) or 173 minimum (computer based) or 61 minimum (Internet based). Along with the TOEFL, CRC also recognizes STEP Eiken and GTEC CBT Japan English Proficiency exam scores for English proficiency for Japanese students. In addition, CRC accepts the IELTS – with a 6.0 minimum test result and the Pearson Test of English Academic - with 38 minimum score.
- U.S. F-1 TRANSFER STUDENTS ONLY: U.S. college official transcripts showing proof of successful completion with a letter grade of C or better in a college level English writing course or passing the Cosumnes River College placement test with a minimum placement of ESL 130.
- Financial Support: Official bank letter/BCIS affidavit of support in the exchange rate of $34,770.00 US dollars. Additional $3,000 USD required for each dependent.
- Educational History:
- Official high school diploma/transcripts showing graduation AND/OR
- Official college transcript (non-English documents must be accompanied by translated copies)
- Application for Admission completed
- CRC International Student Application completed
- $50.00 non-refundable application fee — payable to Cosumnes River College in the form of a check, money order, or cashier's check.
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine that is on the World Health Organization's approved COVID vaccine list.
- Health insurance: Submit to International Student Program with coverage information. Purchase CRC insurance at JCB Insurance.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Test: Evidence of TB-free status.
All non-English documents must be translated into English.
After receiving the I-20, you should go to the website of your nearest US consulate to follow visa application procedures. All US consulate websites are posted on the US Embassy website.
Additional Application Documents for Students Already in the US Attending School on F-1 Visa
If you are currently in the US attending another school as an F-1 student, please submit these forms in addition to the above documentation:
- Copy of VISA stamp in your passport
- Copy of your current school's I-20 issued to you
Please email your completed packet and materials as PDFs to:
Call (916) 691-7411 if you have questions.
Submit all required documents together by the following deadlines. We will not review incomplete applications.
Applicants Outside of the US (Applicants Who Will Need to Apply for F-1 Visa)
- Fall semester: May 1
- Spring semester: November 1
Transfer Applicants in the US (Applicants in the US With a Valid F-1 Status)
- Fall semester: June 1
- Spring semester: November 15
Set Up eServices and Los Rios Gmail
eServices is CRC's online student portal where students manage their information, records, classes, and more.
After your initial application is processed, you will receive an official international student admission letter from the International Student Center that contains your Los Rios student ID number (also known as a "W" number or "wID"). This is a seven-digit number with a preceding "W"; for example, W0000001.
Apply for an F-1 Visa
After you receive your Form I-20 from Cosumnes River College, apply for an F-1 visa.
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee.
- Schedule an interview appointment with the US Embassy or Consulate. Visit the US Embassy website to find a US Embassy or Consulate near you.
- Bring your Form I-20, Letter of Acceptance from Cosumnes River College, and I-901 receipt to your interview with the US Embassy or Consulate, along with any other documents they request.
You can enter the United States with your I-20 and F-1 Visa 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20. The exact date is listed on your I-20.
Need help enrolling in your classes? Contact Admissions and Records.
Students must use a personal email, not a high school email, to complete their application. Free email accounts are available from many sources:
Note: While all of the providers listed above have millions of users and are widely trusted to be reliable and secure, OpenCCC and the CCC Chancellor's Office do not endorse any particular email providers, and will have no liability should any issues arise with a particular email provider.
You only need to submit one CCCApply application to take classes at any college in the Los Rios district – don't spend unnecessary time submitting separate applications for each college.
After your application is processed, we will email you a student ID number and instructions for next steps.
Students who have created a CCCApply account must log in using the account they created; they should not create a new account. Students who forgot their username/password can use the "Forgot" icon on the CCCApply site.
Students who use this function and still cannot find their username/password can call the OpenCCC helpline. If they don’t have their username or password and aren’t able to answer security questions to retrieve that information, then the student will have to contact CCCApply directly.
Cosumnes River College does not have access to CCCApply account information.
International students must meet certain requirements to maintain their student status. Visit our International Student Office to learn more.