Skip to Content


CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids) is a statewide public assistance program that provides cash aid and services to eligible families that have a child or children in the home.

Please note: Counselors for the CalWORKs program are only available to serve students who are active in this program. Students not in this program will be redirected to the General Counseling link or phone number, so that the appropriate appointment can be made.

Meet with CalWORKs

What is the CalWORKs Program?

The CalWORKs program at Cosumnes River College (CRC) helps students to pursue their educational and occupational goals while still meeting county guidelines and requirements. 

The CRC CalWORKs program staff and counselors are here to:

  • Support you on your path to self-sufficiency
  • Ensure you are receiving the county supportive services for which you are eligible
  • Make sure you are enrolled in an educational program that is approved by the Welfare-to Work Program guidelines
  • Help you to understand your rights and responsibilities as a student and a recipient of CalWORKs

How to Apply

Applying to CalWORKs begins with an online application. See the Apply to CalWORKs page to learn more.

Apply to CalWORKs

Services Provided

Academic and Personal Counseling

Our CalWORKs Counselors have an in-depth understanding of CalWORKs County policies, time limits and educational requirements.

A CalWORKs Counselor will create a Student Education Plan with you, which the county caseworker requires in order to approve school as a welfare-to-work-activity.

Work Study

In the CalWORKs Work Study program, a CalWORKs Employment Specialist will assist the student in securing on or off campus employment, providing opportunities to develop marketable job skills related to their current education and training goals. 

Eligibility Requirements

To participate in the CRC CalWORKs Work Study program, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • CalWORKs: Student must be receiving CalWORKs and enrolled in the CRC CalWORKs program
  • Enrollment: Student must be enrolled in at least 6 units at Cosumnes River College‚Äč in the Fall and Spring Semesters (only 1 unit is required in the Summer Semester)
  • Grades: Maintain good academic progress (Letter Grades “C” and above)
  • Welfare-to-Work Plan: You must obtain an approved Welfare-to-Work plan from your caseworker that includes school as an approved activity.

To apply for the Work Study program, please contact the Student Support Center at (916) 691-7031 to schedule an appointment for the CalWORKs Work Study workshop.

To see current jobs available to students, please visit our Student Jobs page.

Help with Textbooks and School Supplies

The county should be providing you with assistance for the cost of textbooks and any other materials required for your classes. Follow these steps to receive assistance:

1. Print out the Textbook Verification Form or pick one up in the Student Support Center as soon as you register for your classes in order to allow time for you to receive your check and purchase your books before classes begin. 

Tips for filling out the form:

  • Go to the CRC College Bookstore website to print out your required books/materials for your classes.
  • Using a copy of your registration printout look up the course first by name (i.e. English 255) and then by the course number (i.e. 12345).
  • Each course may have required and optional books. CalWORKs will only cover books that are listed as required.
  • On your form write down the title of the textbooks in the appropriate space.
  • On the booklist there will be two different costs: cost of a new book and the cost of a used book. Always use the new price when requesting books/materials and write the cost in the appropriate space.
  • Make sure you fill out all of the information at the top of the form.

2. Take the completed form to the Student Support Center and have the CalWORKs SPA sign the form and calculate the total for you. Be sure to attach the following items:  

  • Student Education Plan (SEP), created by a CalWORKs counselor
  • Class schedule
  • Transcripts
  • Textbook list

Please note there is a one day turn around for SPA signatures.

3. After the form has been signed by the CalWORKs SPA, take the form to your county caseworker so they may begin processing your request.

Help with Monthly Attendance/Progress Report

Your county caseworker mails the Monthly Attendance/Progress Report form to you each month. Take these steps to have your school hours verified:

  1. Bring the form into the Student Support Center as soon as you receive it in the mail.
  2. Ask the front desk at the Student Support Center for your Class Enrollment Report.
  3. Using the Class Enrollment Report, record your daily hours in class for each day for the entire month in Activity Type 1 on the form.
  4. Return the form to the Student Support Center for verification and signature (one day turn around).
  5. Take this form to your caseworker for processing.

Detailed directions for filling out this form can be found in the document How to Fill Out Monthly Attendance Report.


(916) 691-7365 (phone)
(916) 691-7434 (fax)


In-Person Hours

9:00 am to 4:00 pm

Remote Hours

Monday to Friday:
8:00 am to 4:30 pm


College Center, CC 254