CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids) is a statewide public assistance program that provides cash aid and services to eligible families that have a child or children in the home.
What is the CalWORKs Program?
The CalWORKs program at Cosumnes River College (CRC) helps students to pursue their educational and occupational goals while still meeting county guidelines and requirements.
The CRC CalWORKs program staff and counselors are here to:
- Support you on your path to self-sufficiency
- Ensure you are receiving the county supportive services for which you are eligible
- Make sure you are enrolled in an educational program that is approved by the Welfare-to Work Program guidelines
- Help you to understand your rights and responsibilities as a student and a recipient of CalWORKs
How to Apply
Step 1: Complete CalWORKs Program Paperwork
Print out the CalWORKs Application (PDF) or pick up this form from our office inside the Student Support Center, Library room L-106. Complete the application, and attach:
- A copy of Verification of Aid
- A copy of transcripts from any other colleges you have attended (other than Los Rios)
- A copy of assessment results
Submit your completed application and all of the above documents to the CalWORKs Office in the Student Support Center. The front desk staff will then schedule an appointment for you to attend the Cosumnes River College CalWORKs Orientation.
All first time college students are required to complete the Steps to Success, which will ensure priority enrollment.
Step 2: Place into Classes and Begin Financial Aid
You will need to place into English and math classes that match your skill level. Visit our Placement page for more information.
Also, begin the Financial Aid process by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Visit our Financial Aid FASFA page for more information.
Step 3: Complete the Cosumnes River College CalWORKs Orientation
During this orientation, the CalWORKs Student Personnel Assistant will:
- Review the services available through our program
- Review the supportive services that you are entitled to through the county
- Advise you on the college registration process
- Assist you with completing the county forms that you will need to submit to your caseworker
Step 4: Schedule an appointment to meet with the CalWORKs Counselor
This can only be done after completing the CalWORKs Orientation. The CalWORKs Counselor will work with you to ensure that your educational and occupational goals meet the county's requirements, and will develop a Student Educational Plan with you that outlines how you will reach those goals. (Please note that all cases are reviewed individually based on the student’s case status with the county.)
Our CalWORKs Counselors have an in-depth understanding of CalWORKs County policies, time limits and educational requirements.
A CalWORKs Counselor will create a Student Education Plan with you, which the county caseworker requires in order to approve school as a welfare-to-work-activity.
In the CalWORKs Work Study program, a CalWORKs Employment Specialist will assist the student in securing on or off campus employment, providing opportunities to develop marketable job skills related to their current education and training goals.
To participate in the CRC CalWORKs Work Study program, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- CalWORKs: Student must be receiving CalWORKs and enrolled in the CRC CalWORKs program
- Enrollment: Student must be enrolled in at least 6 units at Cosumnes River College in the Fall and Spring Semesters (only 1 unit is required in the Summer Semester)
- Grades: Maintain good academic progress (Letter Grades “C” and above)
- Welfare-to-Work Plan: You must obtain an approved Welfare-to-Work plan from your caseworker that includes school as an approved activity.
To apply for the Work Study program, please contact the Student Support Center at (916) 691-7031 to schedule an appointment for the CalWORKs Work Study workshop.
To see current jobs available to students, please visit our Student Jobs page.
The county should be providing you with assistance for the cost of textbooks and any other materials required for your classes. Follow these steps to receive assistance:
1. Print out the Textbook Verification Form (PDF) or pick one up in the Student Support Center as soon as you register for your classes in order to allow time for you to receive your check and purchase your books before classes begin.
Tips for filling out the form:
- Go to the CRC College Store website to print out your required books/materials for your classes.
- Using a copy of your registration printout look up the course first by name (i.e. English 255) and then by the course number (i.e. 12345).
- Each course may have required and optional books. CalWORKs will only cover books that are listed as required.
- On your form write down the title of the textbooks in the appropriate space.
- On the booklist there will be two different costs: cost of a new book and the cost of a used book. Always use the new price when requesting books/materials and write the cost in the appropriate space.
- Make sure you fill out all of the information at the top of the form.
2. Take the completed form to the Student Support Center and have the CalWORKs SPA sign the form and calculate the total for you. Be sure to attach the following items:
- Student Education Plan (SEP), created by a CalWORKs counselor
- Class schedule
- Textbook list
Please note there is a one day turn around for SPA signatures.
3. After the form has been signed by the CalWORKs SPA, take the form to your county caseworker so they may begin processing your request.
Your county caseworker mails the Monthly Attendance/Progress Report (PDF) form to you each month. Take these steps to have your school hours verified:
- Bring the form into the Student Support Center as soon as you receive it in the mail.
- Ask the front desk at the Student Support Center for your Class Enrollment Report.
- Using the Class Enrollment Report, record your daily hours in class for each day for the entire month in Activity Type 1 on the form.
- Return the form to the Student Support Center for verification and signature (one day turn around).
- Take this form to your caseworker for processing.
Detailed directions for filling out this form can be found in the document How to Fill Out Monthly Attendance Report (PDF).
Forms and Documents
(916) 691-7465 (phone)
(916) 691-7434 (fax)
Monday to Friday
8:00 am to 4:30 pm
CRC Library Building
L-106 (1st Floor)
- Business Services
- Career and Transfer Center
- Child Development Center
- Computer Labs
- Dream Center
- EOPS and CARE
- First Year Experience (FYE)
- Fresh Success/CalFresh
- Homeless Youth Success
- Native American Higher Ed
- NextUp/Foster Youth Services
- Peer Mentoring
- Puente Project
- Safe Spaces
- Student Access Center
- Umoja Diop Scholars
- Upward Bound
- Veterans Resource Center
- WEAVE Confidential Advocate