Skip to Content

CRC's Counseling department is here to help! Below are the answers to some of the most frequent inquiries we receive.

Counseling Questions

Do I need to make an appointment to see a counselor?

Appointments may be made to see a counselor, although at certain times of the semester you can see your counselor on a drop-in basis only. 

What is matriculation?

Matriculation is a state-mandated program designed to assist students in accomplishing their educational goals. It is an agreement between the college and the student. Cosumnes River College agrees to provide an organized process of admissions, assessment and testing, orientation, counseling and student progress follow-up. The students agree to: declare a specific educational objective, attend class regularly, complete assigned work and maintain satisfactory progress toward the achievement of their educational plans. Refer to the current schedule of classes for complete information.

What is an SEP? (Student Educational Plan)

The Student Educational Plan is a planning tool that is designed to assist you in completing your educational goals at Cosumnes River College. It is recommended that all students have a plan on file. Your educational plan can be completed during scheduled SEP sessions or by making an appointment to see a counselor.

I was placed on academic probation last semester but received passing grades this semester. Why do I need to see a counselor?

Once a student is placed on academic probation, the probation status remains until the student's overall (cumulative) grade point average is 2.0 or better. Students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to discuss their academic progress; however, they will not be restricted from registering in classes unless they have been dismissed. Students who have been academically dismissed are required to meet with a counselor before registering for the subsequent semester. If the student achieves a 2.0 grade point average or better during the semester of readmission, he/she will achieve a new standing and the dismissed status will be removed. More information is available at the Academic Probation and Dismissal page.

How do I challenge a course?

The college allows a regularly enrolled student in good standing (a grade point average of 3.0) and who feels they have sufficient knowledge in a particular subject matter to challenge a course by taking a special examination to establish credit in a course in which the student is not formally registered. The student must complete a "credit by examination" petition (available in the department or area offices). Students may not earn more than 15 units of credit by examination.

Where can I get help with time management and study habits?

Enroll in a Human/Career Development course such as HCD 110, 310 or INDIS 313. Topics include: motivation and discipline, memory development, time management, communication skills, career planning, study skills and techniques, question-asking skills and personal issues that face many college students. Also, check for flyers on additional workshops on these topics.

Degree Questions

What is an A.S. or A.A. degree?

A degree is an official college recognition for the completion of requirements for graduation. At CRC, you may receive an Association of Science (AS) degree for majors in physical or biological sciences and technical/vocational subject areas. Associate of Arts (AA) degrees are awarded in all other majors. 

Is it worth my time to even try to earn an associates degree?

The answer is a resounding "YES!" Even if you are transferring to a four-year college or going directly into a job, there are many good reasons to have the Associate of Science or Associate of Art degree. These reasons include the following:

  • Once you enroll at your four-year school, your plans may change. You will have nothing to validate your educational experience
  • If your job situation changes, the Associates degree will strengthen your résumé.
  • Even if your plans don't change, you will have an record of success on your résumé.
  • The degree recognizes your achievement and gives you a psychological lift as you move on to the next phase.

General Education Questions

I want a B.A./B.S. degree. How will my coursework differ from those who want only an A.A./A.S degree?

General education courses will probably comprise 1/3 to 1/2 of your coursework, so read on!

What are general education courses?

General education courses cover a wide range of disciplines such as the natural sciences, humanities and fine arts, language and reasoning, the social sciences, etc. This broadening of exposure to many academic fields helps to complement those courses in a student's major, which tend to focus and specialize knowledge in a particular field.

What is the purpose of general education (G.E.) courses?

By taking courses over a wide range of disciplines, you will increase your capacity to develop self-understanding, analytical thinking, evaluation of ethical problems as well as logic and insight into the world in which we live.

Must I choose a specific G.E. pattern?

If you are pursuing a particular college degree, you should fulfill the G.E. pattern that is specifically appropriate for your academic goal. These patterns vary, but generally, the student will complete 21-42 units of G.E. coursework. Most students planning to transfer to a four-year university or a student seeking an occupational A.A. degree will need to complete a total of 60 units which includes the general education units.

Do G.E. patterns differ much?

Patterns differ both in quantity and in content. Four scenarios are outlined below.

  1. If you are pursuing an occupational A.A. or A.S. degree from CRC (such as Early Childhood Education, or CIS Networking), you will complete a vigorous, though less demanding G.E. pattern than a student who will transfer to a four-year college for a bachelor's degree.
  2. If you plan to transfer to any of the 23 CSU campuses (such as Sacramento State or Humboldt State), you may follow a single, standard pattern or may follow the IGETC pattern (PDF) or CSU GE Breadth Requirements (PDF).
  3. If you plan to transfer to any of the nine UC baccalaureate-granting campuses, your task is more rigorous. Each university houses a number of schools and/or colleges. UC Berkeley, for instance, has the College of Environmental Design, the School of Business Administration, etc. Your major will determine which school/college you are in, and that school/college will have its own G.E. pattern, (usually referred to as "Breadth Requirements"). However, the IGETC pattern can be used at many UC campuses. Since there are so many different patterns within the UC system, you will need to determine which pattern is required and whether following IGETC is the best choice. For assistance, see a counselor.
  4. If you plan to transfer to a private or out-of-state four-year college, you should thoroughly read the college's current catalog for G.E. requirements and consult with a counselor.

Must a G.E. pattern be completed in its entirety?

To receive an occupational A.A. or A.S. degree, yes. However, if you plan to transfer to a four-year college, the G.E. pattern is highly advisable but not always mandatory. The G.E. pattern will make your application more competitive, which is particularly important with impacted majors at a four-year college. Some students, such as those in engineering and science are encouraged to focus primarily on completing pre-major coursework rather than the G.E. pattern.

If you are following the IGETC pattern, it must be completed in its entirety in order to be certified. Many four-year colleges require students to complete additional upper division general education courses as well. Finally, be aware that G.E. patterns vary slightly from year to year so consult the school's catalog and check with a counselor to be sure you are on the right track!

Transfer Questions

I want to transfer to a four-year college or university; what should I do?

Meet with a counselor who will assist you in choosing the appropriate courses necessary for transfer.

What is an AA-T or an AS-T?

The AA-T and AS-T are associate degrees for transfer. These degrees were created to meet common lower-division requirements for general education and major preparation for most California State University (CSU) campuses  with a similar major. CRC currently offers 24 Associate Degrees for Transfer: Communication Studies (AA-T), Psychology (AA-T), Sociology (AA-T), Mathematics (AS-T), Physics (AS-T). For more information visit the Associate Degrees for Transfer page.

Can a non-high school graduate transfer to a four-year college without a high school diploma or GED?

Yes, students can attend a community college without a high school diploma or GED and take all the coursework and transfer preparation needed to transfer to a four-year college.