Skip to Content


Place into the Right Classes

Once you have completed orientation, you can move on to placement/assessment. The purpose of this step is to help you succeed by placing you in English and math classes that match your skill level.

Using High School Records for Placement

You will be automatically placed into English and math classes if you:

  • Graduated from a US high school within the last ten years
  • Included all of the requested information about your high school records on your college application

You can view your placement results in your eServices account. From your eServices dashboard, click on the Academic Records tile, then Placements.

Submit Your High School Records for Placement

If you graduated from a US high school within the last ten years, but you did not report your high school information on your application, then you can email your unofficial high school transcripts to CRC's Assessment Center at to receive your English and math course placements. Alternatively, you can drop off your transcripts to the Welcome Center in the College Center building at the main campus.

Use College Records for Placement

If you attended another college (outside of Los Rios), then you can provide college transcripts showing that you passed certain classes. Additional forms may be necessary depending on the college and course.

Please review the pre-approved course lists:

If your course is included on the pre-approved list, please email * the Admissions and Records Office to with the appropriate Math Clearance Challenge Form or the English Prerequisite Clearance/Challenge Form. Admissions and Records staff will assist you with getting the prerequisite cleared.

If you do not see your non-Los Rios course listed, you will need to challenge the prerequisite by emailing * a completed Math Clearance Challenge Form to

*While the college is still in remote operations, all requests should be emailed to the Admissions and Records Office. Once on-ground operations resume, this page will be updated with instructions for delivering documents in person.

Use Guided Self-Placement

If you have been out of high school for more than 10 years, have foreign high school transcripts, or left high school without graduating, then you should use the guided self-placement process to figure out what English and math courses to take. Please email the Placement Office at or call (916) 691-7332, or see a counselor to obtain the guided self-placement link. After completing guided self-placement, your placements will be updated in our enrollment system overnight.

Placement for Advanced Education Students

The CRC Counseling department can answer any questions Advanced Education students may have regarding placement into math or English classes at CRC. Please call (916) 691-7316, visit Advanced Education, or email

English as a Second Language (ESL) Placement Process

If you are still learning English, then you can request to complete the ESL Placement Process in Canvas, which will place you in an ESL class that matches your skill level. The ESL Placement Process in Canvas is available while CRC is operating remotely. See the ESL Placement page for the request form and additional information.

Visit the ESL Placement Page

Acceptance of Other Test Results

CRC accepts assessment results from other Los Rios Colleges (American River College, Folsom Lake College, and Sacramento City College). We do not accept results from any other colleges and we do not accept EAP test results, SAT scores, or ACT scores.

CRC does grant credit towards its degrees for other successfully completed exams and programs, such as Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and others. See Alternative Credit/Study Options for more information.

Advanced Placement (AP) Tests (CEEB)

Students enrolling at Cosumnes River College may be awarded units of credit for Advanced Placement examinations passed with a 3, 4, or 5. Refer to the AP Chart in the online catalog for information on the specific course credit awarded and General Education areas covered.

Note: Please do not submit official scores to the Admissions and Records Office unless advised to do so by a CRC counselor. Credits/units earned are posted on the transcript as "Pass" ("P") - letter grades are not awarded. Credit may not be earned for courses in which duplicate credit has already been awarded by way of Advanced Placement examinations.



(916) 691-7332 or
(916) 691-7571


By Phone

Monday to Friday:
8:00 am to 4:30 pm

In-Person Support

9:00 am to 2:00 pm
9:00 am to 4:00 pm


College Center