Skip to Content

DSPS is here to help! Below are the answers to some of the most frequent inquiries we receive.

Frequently Asked Questions

What types of disabilities receive services at CRC DSPS?

According to federal regulations, “disability” means a person has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of such individual (learning, seeing, hearing, walking, etc.); a record of such an impairment (such as an IEP or records from doctors, psychologists, schools, or departments/organizations that serve people with disabilities); or being regarded as having such an impairment. Students with conditions that substantially limit them from receiving equal access to the educational opportunities provided by the college could be eligible for services.

Students with the following disabilities have been eligible to receive support services and academic accommodations. Here is a breakdown by disability type:

Cosumnes River College (CRC) 100.00%
Acquired Brain Injury 2.07%
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) 9.03%
Autism Spectrum 10.12%
Intellectual Disability 3.16%
Deaf or Hard of Hearing 2.94%
Learning Disability(ies) 31.88%
Mobility/Physical Disability 7.51%
Other disability or health conditions 11.97%
Mental Health Disability 19.26%
Blind or Low-Vision 2.07%

2019-2020 data

Other health conditions may warrant academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services. DSPS will consider the functional limitations of each individual to determine appropriate and reasonable academic adjustments and/or services.

What is a learning disability and how can I learn more about the LD services at CRC?

A learning disability (LD) is when someone has one or more areas in the brain, or connections between areas in the brain, that are just not quite as efficient in sending signals back and forth as most people. So they have more trouble with processing certain types of information (reading, writing, math, spelling, understanding lectures, verbalizing, etc.), and the differences between their “strengths and weaknesses” is significant. LD is slight differences in efficiency of sending certain and specific signals in the brain.

Students with verified LD can receive accommodations and services in the same way as other students with disabilities. DSPS will consider the functional limitations of each individual to determine appropriate and reasonable academic adjustments and/or services.

If a student thinks they might have LD but have no documentation they can contact the DSPS office and make an appointment with the CRC Learning Disabilities Specialist for an initial screening to discuss whether a full LD assessment is warranted.

Does DSPS provide assistance with enrolling and registering for classes at CRC?

DSPS helps students navigate the matriculation process once they have followed the steps on the Apply for DSPS page. Therefore, students must enroll through admissions and records and utilize college student services resources and programs as needed (e.g. financial aid and Student Access Center). At the DSPS intake appointment, the counselor will review eligible DSPS services.

Does CRC or DSPS offer transportation services to students with disabilities?

CRC does not offer any transportation within the college or outside the college. Students are responsible for scheduling their own transportation.

What type of verification does the DSPS office accept?

The office will accept written verification of disability completed by the professional providing the diagnosis. For additional information, see Step 2 on the Apply for DSPS page.

Can I be seen by a DSPS professional if I do not have verification?

DSPS provides services to students who present written verification or documentation of disability. Learn more by visiting the Apply for DSPS page. You can also see a counselor if you are unsure about your documentation.

If I have been absent from college, do I need to apply again to DSPS?

If you have been absent from our college for more than one semester, you must reestablish yourself with DSPS. Please make an appointment to do this.

If I am part of your program, when should I make an appointment to request accommodation for my semester classes?

We recommend you contact DSPS at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of the semester to schedule an appointment. Most students however can request these using the online request form if no adjustments are needed, and you are in good academic standing.

Will DSPS communicate my accommodation needs to my instructor(s)?

It is the responsibility of the DSPS student to obtain the accommodation letters from the DSPS office and then meet with the instructor(s) to review their accommodation needs.

What must I do after I obtain letters from DSPS?

Please deliver each letter to your instructor and set up a time to discuss the listed accommodations with the instructor. Discussions should occur prior to the need for the accommodation whenever possible. Any concerns that cannot be resolved with the instructor at this meeting should be directed to the DSPS Coordinator prior to implementation of the accommodations. The student is responsible for initiating discussion to implement details of the accommodations.

What if I do not get the note taking assistance which I have an accommodation for in a class?

The student should meet with the course instructor first to address concerns about obtaining notes for the class. If this is not resolved within a reasonable time (often a couple of class meetings or a week depending on how often the class meets), the student or the instructor should request assistance from DSPS for alternate solutions.

What if I am not getting other accommodations such as extending time during an exam?

If you feel that you are not obtaining reasonable accommodations as stated on the Confidential Memo presented to your instructor, then you should first approach your instructor to discuss concerns. If you still need assistance, contact the DSPS Coordinator.

What if I want to file a formal complaint or grievance regarding discrimination on the basis of disability?

Please review the list of Los Rios compliance officers. You may also contact the California Office of Civil Rights in San Francisco.