Skip to Content

In accordance with federal regulations set forth by The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, the following is a summary of consumer information that must be made available to all students at Cosumnes River College. Each topic listed gives a brief description of the information that must be disclosed and explains how it can be obtained.

For help or if you have questions related to the consumer information, contact Kristie West at or (916) 691-7199.

I. Information About Cosumnes River College

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The security of student information is very important to us, which is why we will not discuss student records over the phone. This includes resetting a student's password. If you do not remember your password reset questions, then you must come to the campus or one of the outreach centers in person with photo identification.

To obtain a copy of your records – including your current enrollment – you can log in to eServices or come to campus in person with photo identification. You can order your official transcripts online.

Student Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Students have the right to:

  1. Inspect and review their own education records within a reasonable time after the college receives a request for access. If a student wants to review their record, then they should contact the Vice President of Student Services for a petition. Education records include any item of information directly related to an identifiable student maintained by the district or college or required to be maintained by an employee in the performance of the employee's duties, whether that information is recorded by handwriting, print, tapes, files, microfilm, electronically, or by other means. Education records do not include: directory information, information provided by a student's parent related to financial aid or scholarships, information prepared by and that remains in the sole possession of the person who created it, certain medical records, and decisions reached as a result of disciplinary hearings. Education records are maintained by the offices that generate or receive those records and the manager of those offices is responsible for the maintenance of those records. The Admissions and Records Office at each college maintains a log of those persons who have been given access to education records as required by FERPA.
  2. Request an amendment of their education record if a student believes it is inaccurate or misleading. If a student feels there is an error in their record, then the student should submit a statement to the college official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record they want to be changed and why they believe it is inaccurate or misleading. That office will notify the student of their decision and advise of any appropriate appeal rights.
  3. Consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. There are several exceptions which permit disclosure without consent, including but not limited to:
    • Disclosure to school officials with "legitimate educational interests." School officials are employees of the district and its colleges, agents with which the district or college has contracted to provide services, the board of trustees, or students serving on a committee or assisting another school official in the performance of their tasks. A legitimate educational interest exists when the school official has a need to know the information in connection with their official duties.
    • "Directory information," which includes a student's name, identification number, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and most recent previous public or private school attended by the student. A student has the right to withhold the release of directory information. To do so, the student must complete a form, which is available in the Admissions and Records Office. However, placing a "No Release" on a student's records means that no one including friends, parents, prospective employers, honor societies, or any other group or individual will be able to obtain this information.
    • Disclosures to officials of another school, school system, or institution of postsecondary education where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled, so long as the disclosure is for the purpose related to the student's enrollment or transfer.
  4. File a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the district or college to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Further information about FERPA and student records can be found in the District Policy P-2265: Access to Student Records and Regulation R-2265: Access to Student Records or at the college office of the Vice President of Student Services.

Programs and Services Available to Students with Disabilities

Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) provides support services to students with disabilities in an effort to ensure equal opportunity and participation at Cosumnes River College.

Student Body Diversity

Cosumnes River College regularly reports information about student diversity to the Integrated Post-secondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Follow these steps to access this information online:

  1. Go to the IPEDS College Navigator.
  2. In the Name of School box type Cosumnes River College.
  3. Click on the Cosumnes River College link that appears.
  4. For gender and race/ethnicity data, click on the Enrollments link to expand the selection.
  5. For information about Pell Grant recipients, click on the Financial Aid link to expand the selection.

See more facts and statistics about Cosumnes River College, including gender, demographic, and other data.

Textbook Information

Each semester's book list and refund policy is available on the bookstore website.

In our online class schedule, every class has a link to the book list. Not all classes require textbooks. Each semester's book list is posted at the same time the class schedule is posted. We update the book list daily, as faculty submit book orders. The book list is subject to change before and during the semester.

Voter Registration Information

Cosumnes River College encourages eligible students to register to vote. Students may register online using the California Online Voter Registration system. Students can also pick up a voter registration card in the Student Life and Leadership Center, located in the Library Building.

Transfer of Credit Policies and Articulation Agreement

Cosumnes River College is fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission for the Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC), which is part of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. All courses equivalent to university and college work are generally accepted by all WASC member colleges and most other colleges and universities in the United States.

Specific information on course and/or program articulation agreements with the University of California and the California State University systems can be found at For information on articulation agreements with California independent colleges, out-of-state colleges, and international colleges, contact the Counseling Office or the Transfer Center.

Withdrawal Procedures

Military withdrawal is available for students who are members of an active or reserve military service, and who receive orders compelling a withdrawal from courses. Students requesting military withdrawal must file a student petition and include supporting documentation.

Medical withdrawals may also be considered when supporting documentation is provided along with a student petition.

Download the Student Petition Form.

Official withdrawals are those that have been processed via eServices or by staff in the Admissions and Records Office.

Description of Academic Programs

Upon satisfactory completion of requirements, students may earn an Associate in Arts degree (AA), Associate in Science degree (AS), Certificate of Achievement, and Certificate of Proficiency. Explore our college catalog or academic programs, or contact the Counseling Office.

Instructional Facilities and Labs

Cosumnes River College provides the instructional, laboratory, and physical plant facilities needed to support each of its academic programs. Contact the dean for the department for specific information about the facilities and resources available to support the academic program. Dean information is available on all programs and majors pages.


Information about Cosumnes River College's faculty and instructional employees is available in our faculty and staff directory. For additional information, please contact the Los Rios Community College District Office of Human Resources at (916) 568-3112 or in person at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825.

Copyright and Piracy

Cosumnes River College supports the Higher Education Opportunity Act and Digital Millennium Copyright Act, including efforts to stop the illegal distribution of copyrighted material. We have developed guidelines to help students, faculty and staff comply with federal copyright laws. See the following resources to learn more:

Constitution Day

Constitution Day is September 17 each year. To comply with the federal regulation requiring the development of educational programming to celebrate Constitution Day, Cosumnes River College's Student Life and Leadership Center provides faculty, students, and staff with access to US Constitution Day educational resources, movies, toolkits, and free pocket size US Constitution books.

II. Overview of Financial Aid Programs

Overview of Financial Aid Program

Cosumnes River College offers many types of financial aid, including Title IV programs and State of California programs. Financial aid may include grants, loans, federal work-study, Los Rios Colleges Foundation scholarships, and privately supported scholarships.

Contact Information for Obtaining Financial Aid Assistance

Prospective or enrolled students who have questions about obtaining financial aid should contact the  Financial Aid Office at (916) 691-7325.

Need-Based and Non-Need-Based Federal and State Financial Aid

Cosumnes River College offers many types of financial aid. Some are need-based and some are non-need-based, as determined by the information provided and verified on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Los Rios Colleges Foundation Scholarship Application.

How Eligibility for Need-Based Aid is Determined and How Need-Based Aid is Awarded

Students are packaged for financial aid (meaning they are given financial aid from several of the programs for which they are eligible) based on their financial need.

Financial need is determined by a student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC). EFC is computed from information provided on the FAFSA and subtracted from the Cosumnes River College's Cost of Attendance (COA). Students who have a positive number remaining after the EFC is subtracted from the Cost of Attendance may qualify for need-based aid sources.

To meet with federal regulations, Cosumnes River College defines the neediest students as those whose EFC is equal to $0.

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

If you enroll in a study abroad program sponsored by Los Rios Community College District, then you can apply for financial aid through the Cosumnes River College Financial Aid Office. You will be considered for all financial aid programs (including the California College Promise Grant, the Los Rios Promise, Pell Grant, Cal Grant, Foundation scholarships, and loans) except federal work-study.

Depending on the cost of your study abroad program, the financial aid you receive may not meet your full demonstrated financial need. To make up the difference between the aid you receive and the cost of your program, you may want to apply for a private scholarship or alternative loan.

Please also contact the Study Abroad Office about application procedures and deadlines. You are responsible for making any payments for the program by the deadlines.

How and When Financial Aid Will Be Distributed

There are two financial aid disbursements per semester. The Financial Aid Office disburses funds every Friday. In order to received disbursements, a student must select their preferences with BankMobile. For more information of specific dates of distribution by semester, see financial aid deadlines.

Financial Aid Fraud

The College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act of 2000 (CSFPA) enhances protection against fraud in student financial assistance by establishing stricter sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud. It also charged the Department of Education, working in conjunction with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), with implementing national awareness activities, including a scholarship fraud awareness website. According to the FTC, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use these lines:

  • "The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back."
  • "You can't get this information anywhere else."
  • "I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship."
  • "We'll do all the work."
  • "The scholarship will cost some money."
  • "You've been selected by a national foundation to receive a scholarship."
  • "You're a finalist (in a contest you never entered)."

For more information or to file a complaint, students or parents can call (877) FTC-HELP or (877) 382-4357, or visit:

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the US Department of Education's central database for student financial aid records. Federal loans disbursed to students or parents will be submitted to NSLDS and will be accessible by guarantee agencies, lenders, and institutions determined to be authorized users of the data system.

Student and parent borrowers can track and manage their federal student loans and grants. The secured site displays information on loans and grants, including amounts, outstanding balances, and status. Student and parent borrowers can also find contact information for their loan servicer.

Terms of Loans Received, Repayment Schedules, and Repayment

Generally, borrowers have ten to 25 years to repay their loan, depending on the repayment plan they choose. The loan servicer will notify the borrower of the date the first payment is due.

If a repayment plan is not chosen by the borrower, then the borrower will be placed on the standard repayment plan, with fixed monthly payments for up to ten years. Repayment plans can be changed at any time by contacting the loan officer.

Information about standard repayment, extended repayment, graduated repayment, income contingent repayment (not available for parent PLUS loans), and income-based repayment can be found at under Repayment & Consolidation.

Loan Entrance Counseling

The US federal government requires first-time student borrowers to complete loan entrance counseling to ensure that the student borrower understands the responsibilities and obligations they are assuming. In order to provide the required comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of the loan and the borrower's responsibilities, first-time student loan borrowers at Cosumnes River College are required to complete entrance counseling.

Complete your loan entrance counseling at under Undergraduate Students.

Private Educational Loan Disclosures

Any student applying for a private education loan at Cosumnes River College must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to ensure that all available waivers and grants are available to the student, as well as to encourage students to make use of low-interest loans available through the Department of Education (subsidized if eligible). Student borrowers at Cosumnes River College are counseled to compare the terms and conditions of Department of Education loans with the terms and conditions of private education loans to determine the more favorable borrowing option.

Upon request, Cosumnes River College Financial Aid Office will provide the self-certification form for private education loans required under Sec. 128(e)(3) of the Truth in Lending Act (15 U.S.C. 1638(e)(3) and the information required to complete the form, to the extent that Cosumnes River College possesses the information.

III. Information Regarding Student Outcomes

Graduation, Transfer, and Retention Rates

Cosumnes River College regularly reports graduation, transfer, and retention information to the Integrated Post-Secondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Follow these steps to access this information online:

  1. Go to the IPEDS College Navigator.
  2. In the Name of School box type Cosumnes River College.
  3. Click on the Cosumnes River College link that appears.
  4. Click on the Retention and Graduation Rates link to expand the selection.

Graduation and Retention Rates for Student Athletes

Graduation and retention rates must be provided to student athletes and their parents, high school coaches, and guidance counselors when athletic-related student aid is offered. Cosumnes River College does not offer financial aid to students based on athletic ability.

For information on graduation and retention rates or student success programs for student athletes, please contact the director of the Athletic Department.

Equity in Athletic Disclosure

As part of the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, information on annual participation rates and financing of men’s and women’s sports in intercollegiate athletic programs is available by request. For more information or to get a copy of the report, contact the Athletic Department. More information is available at on the Department of Education's website at

IV. Information Regarding Health and Safety

Campus Safety and Security

Clery Act

The Annual Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Report (Annual Clery Report) is published by Los Rios Police Department (LRPD) and is available online.

Emergency Notifications

If a serious crime takes place on campus and the suspects are at large, we issue timely warnings to alert staff, faculty, and students. These warnings consist of text messages, emails, phone calls, and physical notices posted on building entrances. The daily crime log is available via the LRPD website.

Drug- and Alcohol-Free Workplace and College Premises

The unlawful manufacturing, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of illicit drugs and alcohol is prohibited in the workplace and on college premises. Students, faculty, and staff that violate this policy may be disciplined – up to and including termination or expulsion – and may face civil and/or criminal penalties. The abuse of alcohol and drugs can have serious health consequences. There are local counseling and rehabilitation resources available for those struggling with substance abuse.

View District Policy P-2443: Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace and College Premises or learn more about our commitment to a drug- and alcohol-free workplace and college premises.

See Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Regulations Biennial Review.

Emergency Response and Evacuation Procedures

Visit the Los Rios Police Department website to learn about our emergency response and evacuation procedures.

Discrimination and Harassment Complaint Procedures

We have procedures in place to address discrimination and harassment complaints, including complaints related to equity, sexual harassment, Title IX, 504, and ADA.

Complaints may be filed by students or employees who have experienced or witnessed unlawful discrimination. Complaints may also be filed on behalf of an individual by a third party, such as a family member, representative, or organization.

We encourage you to use our official complaint form, but the form is not required. If you do not use our complaint form, your complaint will not be considered defective or rejected based on the failure to file the complaint on the form.

Learn how to file a complaint or read Regulation R-2423: Discrimination and Harassment Complaint Procedures.