Be Ready for the Next Election!
While it might feel like one vote won't make a difference, there’s strength in numbers as Cosumnes River College students. According to the Pew Research Center, millennials and Gen Z will comprise 37% of eligible voters in 2020.
Getting Ready for Election Day
How Do I Register to Vote in California?
California offers online voter registration. You can register by mail to vote in California by printing a voter registration form, filling it out, and mailing it to your local election office. You can also register to vote in person if you prefer.
To register in California you must:
- be a United States citizen
- be a resident of California
- be at least 18 years old or older on Election Day
- not be currently in state or federal prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony
- not be currently found to be mentally incompetent to vote by a court
Find more information on voting rights restoration.
Online Voter Registration
California offers online voter registration.
To use California’s online voter registration system, you will need:
- a California-issued driver license or California identification card number
- the last four digits of your social security number
- consent to the use of your DMV-stored digital signature.
If you don’t have a California-issued ID or don’t want to provide consent for the use of your digital signature, you can still register by mail to vote.
In-Person Voter Registration
You can also register to vote in person. Contact your local election office for information on when and where to register to vote.
Conditional voter registration is a safety net for Californians who miss the deadline to register to vote or update their voter registration information. Voters can use the conditional voter registration process from the day after the deadline all the way through Election Day. Eligible citizens can go to their county election office, polling place, or vote center to register and vote conditionally. These ballots will be processed once the county elections office has completed the voter registration verification process.
Election Day Registration
You can also register to vote and cast a ballot in person on Election Day.