All application materials are due to the Work Experience Program before Monday, May 15, 2023 at 5:00 pm. Please submit this online application and upload all required documents before this deadline.
Formal interviews will be conducted on May 22, 2023 via Zoom conference meeting.
All minimum qualifications must be completed before the start of the fall semester.
- Complete Fire Technology (FT) 300 Fire Protection Organization (3 units), with a "C" or better. This class provides an introduction to fire protection, career opportunities in fire protection and related fields, philosophy and history, and more.
- Complete the FEMA independent study courses: IS–100, IS–200, IS–700, IS–800 before the academy's start. These courses may be found online through FEMA's ICS Resource Center. These courses are free of charge and are self-paced online courses.
- Possess a current California State EMT Certification or a California State Paramedic License. Paramedics must be Sacramento County ALS accredited.
- Possess a current CPR for the Healthcare Provider Card (or the equivalent)from the American Heart Association and maintain it during the entire CRC/CSD Firefighter Internship Program.
- Possess a GED or a High School Diploma.
- Have a valid California driver's license.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have an overall college GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Possess the strength and stamina to pass a Physical Abilities test and Health Examination by a medical practitioner, including a respiratory test.
- Consent to and pass a qualifying Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background check.
- Consent to and pass a comprehensive drug screening.
- Be able to validate prior work or leisure teamwork experience.
- Be able to purchase selected firefighter protective gear and clothing.
- Register for the FT 498 Work Experience class and pay the appropriate unit fee for every semester you participate in the internship. Enrollment in FT 498 is required.
- Participate in an interviewing workshop sponsored by the Work Experience and Internship Program staff before your scheduled interview for this internship. Note: All minimum qualifications must be completed before the start of the fall semester.
Additionally, you will need to submit an application, cover letter, resume, a copy of unofficial college transcript(s), your fall class schedule and proof of paid registration for Fire Technology 498. The application deadline typically takes place during the end of each spring semester. Please contact the Work Experience staff at (916) 691-7372 for more information.