The Firefighter Internship Program is a collaborative effort between Cosumnes River College’s Work Experience Education and Internship Program and the Cosumnes Community Services District Fire Department. CRC and Cosumnes CSD Fire Department have been partners since 1987.
The program is a 2-year commitment and is designed for Fire Technology students who desire a real-world experience to apply knowledge and skills learned in the classroom. It includes participation in a required weekly Fire Technology Work Experience class (FT 498). This course provides an opportunity for students to learn more about their chosen career, develop confidence, and obtain valuable information on professional development.
To receive more detailed information about the program, please contact the Career and Transfer Center at (916) 691-7372.
All minimum qualifications must be completed before the start of the fall semester.
- Complete Fire Technology (FT) 300 Fire Protection Organization (3 units), with a “C” or better. This class provides an introduction to fire protection, career opportunities in fire protection and related fields, philosophy and history, and more.
- Complete EMT 100 and possess a current CA State EMT Certification or CA State Paramedic License. Paramedics must be Sacramento County ALS accredited.
- Possess a current CPR for the Healthcare Provider Card (or the equivalent) the American Heart Association and maintain it during the entire Program.
- Posses a GED or a High School Diploma.
- Have a valid and current California Driver’s License.
- Be 18 years of age or older. Have an Overall GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Possess the strength and stamina to pass a Physical Ability Test and Health Examination by a medical practitioner including a respiratory test. Consent to and pass a qualifying DOJ, FBI background check.
- Consent to and pass a comprehensive drug screening.
- Be able to demonstrate prior work or leisure teamwork experience.
- Be able to purchase selected fire clothing and protective gear.
- Register in Fire Technology Work Experience 498 class and pay appropriate unit fee for every semester you participate in the internship. Enrollment is required.
- Participate in an interviewing workshop prior to your oral interview.
- If accepted into the program you must register (you will receive an instructor permission number) in the Fire Technology FT 210 (Firefighter Academy for the Internship Program) class. Enrollment is required.
Additionally, you will need to submit an application, cover letter, resume, a copy of unofficial college transcript(s), your fall class schedule and proof of paid registration for Fire Technology 498. The application process and this packet of information does have a deadline date. The application deadline typically takes place during the end of each spring semester. Please contact the Work Experience staff at (916) 691-7372 for more information.
The Firefighter Internship Program Manual (PDF) fully describes the internship program.
Monday to Thursday
9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Friday by appointment
Library Building, L 217
Inside Career & Transfer Center