Skip to Content
Home About Us Our Values Student Rights and Responsibilities Student Grievances and Class-Related Concerns

Steps to Resolution

Note: the informal process must begin within ten (10) days of the incident.

  1. Students should speak with their instructor about the concern and attempt to resolve the problem informally.
  2. Students who feel as though they are unable to speak with their instructor or resolve the situation should contact the instructional division area dean.
  3. If the issue is not resolved by meeting with the instructor and/or divisional dean, then the student should contact the Student Grievance Officer and initiate a formal grievance.

Filing a Formal Grievance

A student may file a grievance or grieve an action or decision of the district or one of its colleges when the student's status and/or rights have been adversely affected.

There are specific timelines and date limitations to file a formal grievance. The formal grievance process must begin within five calendar days of the attempted informal resolution.


Grievances relating to grades are subject to Education Code Section 76224(a), which reads:

"When grades are given for any course of instruction taught in a community college district, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course and the determination of the student's grade by the instructor, in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetence, shall be final."

Additional Grievance Information

Issues that are not resolved at the college or district level may be presented via resources provided by the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office. Complainants are encouraged to use the official form provided by the Chancellor's office, however, that form is not required and complaints will not be considered defective or rejected if you do not use the form.