About the Cosumnes River College Art Gallery
- Newest art gallery in south Sacramento County
- Design and construction costs: $2.3 million
- Approximately 2,500 square feet
- Sustainable and green features:
- Daylight provided to all interior spaces
- Polished concrete floor
- 60% reduction in annual lighting energy
- Cool Roof (reflects sunlight and emits the received radiation back to its surroundings)
- Motorized shades for glare control
- Drought tolerant plants
- High efficiency irrigation sprinklers
- LED lamped art light fixtures
- Funding provided by bond Measure M
- Grand Opening/First Show October 2014
The Art Gallery is the newest in south Sacramento County and a place where art faculty, students, alumni and the community are invited to showcase their artwork.
The Art Gallery was designed to promote the visual arts through paintings, drawings, sculptures, ceramics, photographs and mixed media.
For CRC students, having a gallery on campus not only provides them the opportunity to view and discuss a variety of artists’ work, they gain the added experience of learning to professionally present their own and others art, in a working gallery. The gallery introduces CRC students to art professionalism through juried exhibitions and visiting artist-led workshops as well.
Classes are offered in art gallery management, providing students hands-on training in practical job skills that will give them an advantage in securing employment in the art arena.
The building itself is a simple design, but provides an effective, unique space at the college to enhance visual literacy, while helping the environment. The 2,500 square foot facility has several sustainable features, including a “cool roof,” windows in all spaces to bring in daylight, a polished concrete floor, motorized shades for glare control, and LED lamped art light fixtures.
For more information on the Art Gallery, contact Mollyanna Robinson at 916.691.7561.