The Library offers several different instruction options which are described below.
Class-specific orientations are research workshops provided by CRC librarians that are tailored to the specific research needs of individual classes. They are scheduled during your regular class hours and can take place at the main campus or the Elk Grove Center. Each workshop aims to provide students with basic library research skills.
Orientation requests: Instructors may request Class-Specific Orientations by emailing Rochelle Perez at rochelle [dot] perez (at) crc [dot] losrios [dot] edu. Please include the following information in your request:
- Will a research paper or project be assigned?
- When will students receive their research assignment?
- Assignment due date
- Preferred orientation date and time
- Alternative orientation dates and times (if preferred date and time is unavailable)
- Attach a copy of your research assignment and/or syllabus (If you do not have an electronic version of the assignment to attached to email, please send hard copy to Rochelle Perez at the CRC Library)
Based on our experience, students who attend orientations with a list of possible research topics get more out of the sessions than student who have no topics in mind. For this reason, the library highly recommends instructors have their students come up several possible topics prior to the scheduled orientation date.
The Library now offers Online Research Tutorials (i.e., “library modules”) in a new audio-visual format! These tutorials are available from the library Tutorials link. Key features of the revised Online Research tutorials include:
- More audiovisual, less text - more like "movies" than pages to read
- Easy to access (available on the library web site, not via Blackboard or Desire2Learn)
- Short and focused (average completion time 15-20 minutes)
- Not graded - But students do have the option of taking an accompanying quiz in D2L to receive proof of completion certificate. These can be turned in to instructors.
Topics for the new Online Research Tutorials and are as follows:
1. Library tour
2. Finding books with the library catalog (Introduction and Overview of Searching)
3. Getting started with your research topic
4. Finding articles with research databases (Introduction and Overview of Searching)
5. Internet searching (Coming Soon!)
6. Evaluating materials (Coming Soon!)
7. Citing Sources (Coming Soon!)
If you are an instructor who is considering assigning or recommending your students complete one or more of these new Online Research Tutorials and have any questions, please email Emily Bond at emily [dot] bond (at) crc [dot] losrios [dot] edu.
A librarian will come to your classroom to provide a brief (10 minute) overview of library services and to raise students’ awareness of the resources and workshops available. Please contact Rochelle Perez at perezr (at) crc [dot] losrios [dot] edu if you would like to schedule a class visit.
Upon faculty request, librarians are available to create a course specific research guide. Please contact Mark Ford at fordm (at) crc [dot] losrios [dot] edu if you would like to request an Online Course Guide.