Catalog Archive sidebar and hidden CSS

Looking for Archives?

Catalogs from past years can be found on our Download page.

Admission Requirements and Procedures

Admission Requirements and Procedures

The admission process is designed to support student success. Participation in the process of assessment, orientation, counseling and student progress follow-up directly relates to a student’s achievement of their educational goals. Cosumnes River College is committed to providing a comprehensive array of support services to ensure every student has an opportunity to achieve academic success.


Cosumnes River College is open to all residents who are high school graduates or who are at least 18 years of age and able to benefit from the instruction offered. Questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the Admissions and Records Office. A completed application with declared residency and signature page must be on file prior to enrolling (registering) in classes. Others may be admitted upon approval by the college. If you are a permanent resident, verification of your residency may be required.


Every course, course section, or class offered within the Los Rios Community College District that receives state support is open to all students who have been admitted to the colleges and meet the course requirements (prerequisites), unless specifically exempted by law, and as may be established according to Chapter II, Division, 2, Part VI, Title 5 of the California Administrative Code, commencing with Section 51006.

Limited English Proficiency
Career/Technical education classes are open to all students. Although the lack of proficiency in English is no barrier to enrollment in vocational education courses, it is suggested the students deficient in English utilize the services of the college that are provided for persons who are limited in English proficiency or take courses in English as a Second Language.

Contamos con Clases de Educacion
Vocacional para distintas ramas del trabajo abiertas a todos los estudiantes y, aun para aquellos que todavia no dominan el idioma inglés. Aunque la falta de conocimiento del idioma inglés no es un impedimento para registrarse endichos cursos, sugerlimos a los estudiantes defiecientes en el idioma ingles o para aquelos que estudian inglés \ como segunda lengua.

Advanced Education for High School Students
The college may allow currently enrolled high school students, who are age 16 or older or have completed the 10th grade with a 2.7 GPA, to enroll for advanced educational enrichment with the approval of their school principal/counselor and parent/guardian. These advanced education students (taking no more than 2 courses) are exempt from enrollment fees but not from books/materials costs. Fees for non-residents still apply. The Advanced Education Form must accompany the college registration process. Students interested in this program should first contact the CRC Counseling Center, phone (916) 691-7316.

Determination of Residency
California state law requires that each student enrolled in or applying for admission to a California Community College provide proof of his/her residence classification.

The statutes regarding residence determination are found in Sections 68000-68090 and 76140 of the Education Code, Sections 54000-54072 of the California Administrative Code and in the regulations of the Los Rios Community College District. These regulations are available in the Admissions and Records Office of the college and are subject to the interpretation of the college.

The California residency requirement has two parts, Act and Intent. To claim residency a student must have lived in, and shown intent to reside in, California by one or more of the following acts of intent:

  • Paying California income taxes
  • Possessing a valid California driver’s license
  • Registering and voting in the state
  • Owning and registering a car in California, and/or
  • The absence of these ties with another state or country

Concurrent with these acts of intent, physical presence in the state for one year prior to the first day of the semester is needed to establish California residency in the District. Because the residency requirement is complicated, students with questions should contact the Admissions and Records Office in the College Center for more information.

Non-resident Student
A student classified as a non-resident will be required to pay out-of-state tuition, which is set by the Board of Trustees of the Los Rios Community College District.

Under Assembly Bill 540, some non-resident students may be eligible for a waiver of non-resident tuition fees. Interested students should contact the Admissions and Records Office to discuss eligibility. Qualified students are still responsible for the per unit general enrollment fee.

Information regarding tuition fees and refunds is found in the “Fee Requirements” and “Fee Refund” sections of this catalog.

Residency Reclassification Requests
Students may apply for reclassification to California resident by completing a reclassification application and providing sufficient documentation to support California residency. State requirements to become a California Code of Regulations (Title 5).

Under California law, to be reclassified from a non-resident to a California resident, a student must clearly demonstrate:

  1. Physical presence in California,
  2. Intent to reside in California permanently, and
  3. Financial independence, if the student was classified as a non-resident in a preceding term.

Please see the Admissions and Records Office for the reclassification application and instructions.

Undocumented Students
Under Assembly Bill 540, a student (non-U.S. citizen) who is residing in the United States without official authorization from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) may be eligible for a waiver of non-resident tuition fees. Interested students should contact the Admissions and Records Office to discuss eligibility. Qualified students are still responsible for the per unit general enrollment fee. All inquiries are strictly confidential, and the student's information is not reported to any outside agencies.

Incorrect Classification
Non-resident students who have falsified information and enrolled without paying their fees will be excluded from classes upon notification, pending payment of the fee. Written notification may be given at any time. These students will not be readmitted during the semester or summer session from which they were excluded, nor shall they be admitted to any following semester or summer session until all previously incurred tuition obligations are paid.

If a student is erroneously determined to be a non-resident and a tuition fee is paid, the fee is refundable provided acceptable proof of state residence is presented within the period for which the fee was paid.


Persons interested in enrolling must file an application by going to the college Website at

Admission with Advanced Standing
Cosumnes River College welcomes transfer students from other accredited schools and colleges. Those students who have earned grades averaging less than 2.0 (“C”) will be admitted on probation.

Students who have been dismissed or disqualified from another accredited collegiate institution may be denied admission for one semester after dismissal or disqualification, if applying for admission to Cosumnes River College immediately after dismissal. (See the section on Academic Dismissal in this catalog)

Admission for Veterans and/or Dependents
Students should contact Veterans Services, located in the Admissions and Records Office, at least two months prior to the term of attendance to initiate and complete required paperwork. In addition, all recipients must confirm their classes with Veterans Services after completion of registration. All material submitted to the Veterans Administration takes approximately two months for processing through the Veterans Administration Regional Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma.

After enrolling at CRC, a veteran may apply for evaluation of military service experience for college credit. A copy of the veteran's DD214 (member copy 4) separation paper must be submitted to Veterans Services in the Admissions and Records Office.

For more information, veterans or dependents should contact Veterans Services in the Admissions and Records Office or call (916) 691-7422.

Admission for International Students
International students who wish to enter Cosumnes River College must contact the Admissions and Records Office. Such students should initiate an application for admission at least six months prior to the opening date of the semester in which they intend to enroll. 

If accepted, international students will complete the admission process. A Certificate of Eligibility, Form I-20, is issued to indicate final acceptance. To be certified as full-time students with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service), international students must enroll in a minimum of 12 units and must maintain a 2.0 (“C”) average at all times. Students must report any reduction in course/unit load to the International Student Office of as soon as possible.

International students must pay the International Student Tuition Fee (Check Class Schedule for Current Fees) in addition to the per unit fee and capital outlay fee.

The college does not provide clinical health services and requires a mandatory health insurance policy or equivalent medical protection for international students. In addition, the college requires the results of a current tuberculosis skin test or chest X-ray. Health insurance and skin testing services are available at the Health Services Office located in the Operations and Public Safety building. (No appointment necessary except for TB skin testing)

Beginning each semester, students on F visas are required to show evidence of approved health insurance coverage. “Health coverage must be maintained throughout the duration of their studies.”


All new students are required to complete online orientation and assessment. Completing the online orientation is the best way to begin your college experience. The orientation provides student with important information that aids in the transition to college. The online orientation can be found on our website at

Reading, writing, and math skills are essential for learning and understanding all subjects. It is helpful for students to know their level of performance in these areas. Assessment in these subjects will show educational strengths and challenges. This is helpful for planning a course of study. Assessment results, along with high school records, educational and employment experiences, current work schedule and motivational levels are used by counselors to create Student Educational Plans. (See page 12 for more details on Assessment Services.)


All students should meet with a CRC Counselor to develop an individualized Student Educational Plan (iSEP). New students may participate in a group counseling (with other new students that may be in our classes) and have an opportunity to discuss academic expectations, student success programs, and select classes for registration. Students who complete orientation, assessment, and counseling are eligible for priority registration. To schedule an appointment contact the Counseling Office at (916) 691-7316.


Complete registration instructions are in the schedule of classes each semester. Online and in-person registration is available during registration periods. Check the Class Schedule for details.


It is the applicant’s responsibility to have official high school records and official transcripts of all work attempted, completed or in progress at ALL other accredited colleges forwarded directly to the Cosumnes River College Admissions and Records (A & R) Office. Students with degrees earned outside of the U.S. must have their transcripts evaluated and/or translated by an accredited agency providing this service. The A & R Office must receive official transcripts of any “Work in Progress” immediately after completion of such work. These records also apply to any summer session or correspondence work.


All new students are encouraged to meet with their counselors at least once during their first semester. This session helps students with goal setting, selection of a major, career exploration, and the completion of a Student Educational Plan. Students are encouraged to make an appointment early in the semester to ensure preparation for the following semester's registration. The best months to make an appointment are September, October, November and February, March and April.


At the time of publication of this catalog, the following fees are in effect:

General Enrollment Fees
All students must pay a per unit general enrollment fee. (Check Class Schedule for current enrollment fees.) The California Community College Board of Governors provides a waiver of fees for qualified students (see page 19 of this catalog for financial assistance information).

Note: Fees are subject to change, as they are set by the State Legislature. Students who have registered for classes prior to any increase will be billed for the additional amount. Fees are due and payable at time of registration.

Non-Resident/International Tuition
Students classified as non-residents (see “Determination of Residency,” page 9 of this Catalog) are required to pay a per unit non-resident tuition fee, plus the per unit general enrollment fee. (Check Class Schedule for current enrollment fees.)

Capital Outlay Fee
Non-resident and international students will be assessed a per unit fee for capital outlay purposes in addition to the per unit general enrollment fee and per unit non-resident/international tuition. (Check the Class Schedule for Current Fees.)

Instructional Material Fees
Instructional material fees for designated courses may be assessed in accordance with Title 5, Section 59400 and District Policy 2253.

Student Access Card/Universal Transit Pass
A mandatory fee was imposed by students in the Los Rios District in order to provide affordable public transit options for all students. This fee is determined by the number of enrolled units in a semester. Visit the college Web site for more information on the various uses for the Student Access Card/UT Pass. ( Check the Class Schedule for current fee.

Parking Fees
All students wishing to park a motorized vehicle on campus will be subject to a parking fee. A parking permit (decal) may be purchased. (Check the Class Schedule for current fees.)

In lieu of the permit, students wishing to park automobiles on campus may purchase a daily parking ticket for $2 from machines located in various parking lots. A daily parking ticket will be available only for automobiles - not motorcycles.

Students awarded a CCC Board of Governors fee waiver may purchase a parking decal (automobile only) for a discount. (Check the Class Schedule for details.) Vehicles not having a valid parking decal, or daily parking ticket properly displayed, will be issued a parking citation.

Parking decals may be purchased at the Business Services (Cashier) Office or online. If a parking decal is lost or stolen, a new decal must be purchased at full price. If a vehicle is sold or damaged (i.e., windshield replaced) during the effective term of the decal, a replacement can be issued for a small fee if the proof of sale or repair of vehicle and the old decal (decal number intact) are submitted to the Business Services (Cashier) Office.

Field Trip Fees
Some classes may include a field trip. Fees, if any, for a field trip will be included in the course section information of the class schedule. Students who do not have sufficient funds for field trip fees may qualify to have their fees waived or may be given an alternate assignment, as appropriate.


For all semester lengths, fees for enrollment, tuition, international capital outlay, parking and the UTP Pass are refundable. Application and installment payment plan fees are not refundable.

For all semester length courses, enrollment, tuition, and capital outlay fees are refundable through the Friday of the second week of instruction. Short-term courses are refundable through the Friday of the first week of instruction.

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for fee refunds. To be eligible for processing, the student must:

  • Drop classes online or in person at the Admissions and Records Office. Check Class Schedule for the current semester's deadlines to drop for a refund.
  • Submit a refund request form to the Business Services (Cashier) Office or online no later than the last day of the semester or session currently being completed, or the refund will be disallowed. Credit balances will be forfeited and do not carry over to the next semester/term.
  • Prorated refunds are not available under current legislative law. A check will be mailed to eligible students approximately eight weeks after the refund application is submitted.

(American Opportunity Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit)

Students (or parents of dependent students) may be able to obtain
federal tax credits for enrollment fees if the student is enrolled in at least 6 units during any semester or summer session, and the student meets the other conditions prescribed by federal law. Students who consent to online access can view and print the IRS Form 1098-T through eServices by January 31st of each year. For eligible students who do not consent to online access, the IRS Form 1098-T will be mailed by January 31st.

More information on the American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit is available on IRS Form 8863 at the following web address: OR