STAT 300 COURSE ORIENTATION
ALL STUDENTS are required to complete the Course Orientation:
- OPTION 1: ONLINE "ORIENTATION IN ADVANCE"--Summer 2013
Online students are encouraged to complete the "Orientation in Advance" Tasklist.
Students who Complete and Send the Verification Form by midnight Friday, June 7, 2013 will receive credit for completing the Course Orientation online and be excused from attending in person.
- OPTION 2: "IN PERSON" ORIENTATION --Summer 2013
If you are enrolled in the ONLINE Stat 300, the "In Person" Course Orientation will be held
Saturday afternoon, June 8, 2013 Noon-2:00 pm
in LRC 106 (Learning Resource Center Bldg 1st floor).
If you have not completed the "Orientation IN ADVANCE" you MUST attend the IN PERSON Orientation or you will be dropped from the class roster.
COURSE ORIENTATION TASKLIST
TASK 1: CONFIRM ACCEPTANCE OF COURSE TIMELINES & COMMITMENTS
Step 1: Go to: www.crc.losrios.edu/martinms (pre-semester website of course info--no access purchase required)
Step 2: Read the Pre-Semester information to answer Questions #1-5 on the Course Orientation Verification Form --see last 2 pages of this document.
Step 3: If you do not want to continue in this course after reading the timelines and commitments for the course -- Please go to CRC registration e-services, http://www.crc.losrios.edu and withdraw from the course so that others on the waitlist can be added.
Step 4: Otherwise, continue to task 2 to purchase the course materials.
TASK 2 : REGISTER INTO THE ONLINE COURSE MATERIALS
Step 1: Completed the online course registration at www.MyMathLab.com
Step 2: Under " Student" select "Register"
Course ID for SUMMER '13: martin89184
- If you purchased a textbook & access code package from the bookstore.($105.55 loose leaf) select ACCESS CODE. Pull off the tear off strip and type the access code.
- If you plan to use the ebook instead of a printed text & purchased the access code from the CRC bookstore($88.88) select ACCESS CODE. Pull off the tear off strip and type the access code.
- To purchase online access by credit card ($85.00 online) select BUY NOW (you will not need to enter any access code to complete registration)
Step 3: Complete your registration into our course: Choose your username and
password, etc-- You will need the school zip code for Cosumnes River College: 95823
TASK 3: COMPLETE COURSE ORIENTATION CHECKLIST
STEP 1: Browser Check: Important Installs
Your next step is to install the software needed to access the course materials.
Step1-a Run the Install Wizard
... The wizard automatically checks your computer for the latest versions of Adobe Reader, Powerpoint Reader, Adobe Flash Player and Quicktime Player.
STEP 2: Print & Read Course Syllabus
Step2-a Use the course navigation menu on the left of the Course Compass Opening page to select: " Course Syllabus/Info"
(1) Course Syllabus,
(2) Exams & Grading Policies
(3) Assignment Policies,
(4) Exam & Weekly Assignment Schedule
(5) Semester-at-a-Glance Calendar
Step2-b Use the information from these documents to compete the answers to the Course Orientation Verification Questions #1-8
STEP 3: Lecture Materials
Step3-a Use the course navigation menu on the left of your screen to select
• Ch Notes & Ppt (Powerpoint)
• Open Chapter 1
• Print the "Notes Outline: Lectures 1.1-1.6 (PDF Print Document)"
• To verify that you can print the lecture Notes Packets, answer Verification Question #9.
Step3-b Download the Powerpoint lecture that corresponds to these Notes
• Ch Notes & Ppt Slides>Chapter 1> Instructor Powerpoint Slides: Ch.1
• Verify you can use the Lecture Powerpoints-answer Verification Question #10
Step3-c Use the course navigation menu on the left of your screen to select
• Lecture Videos
• Open & watch the first lecture video. Use the scroll bar to advance forward or backward in the lecture.
• To verify that you can access and use the TV lectures videos if desired, answer Verification Question #11.
Step3-d Use the course navigation menu on the left of your screen to select
• eBook/Ch. Contents
• Open Chapter 5 > End of Chapter Materials > Chapter Review
• To verify that you can access to the eBook, answer Verification Question #12.
STEP 4: Homework
Step4-a Use the course menu to explore the class website-- CLICK and EXPLORE all the buttons
• Use the course navigation menu on the left of your screen to select Discussion Board:
• After exploring the pages in the course menu, post a "Feature Finder/Introduce Yourself" using the "Add a New Thread" button.
Step4-b Use the course navigation menu on the left of your screen to
• Open and Complete the "Opening Survey"
TASK 4: SUBMIT COURSE ORIENTATION VERIFICATION FORM FOR CREDIT
Step1-a To earn credit for the "COURSE ORIENTATION IN ADVANCE"
IN ADVANCE-->> By midnight Friday, June 7, 2013<<--
Do ONE of the following:
1. Print theCourse Orientation Verification Form and complete the questions by hand.
• Submit by dropping off the completed form to CRC room: area office, Science #501
• ..or...Scan the completed pages and send as email attachment
• ..or...Fax the completed pages to (916) 691-7142 attn: Mary Martin
2. Save the last two pages as a separate Word document:
• Name the file: your last name Orientation.doc
• Type your answers directly into the word document
• Email the completed document to firstname.lastname@example.org
IN PERSON Orientation Verification-->> Students submit questions #1-#8 during In-Person Orientation. Then email answers to questions #9-#12 to email@example.com by MIDNIGHT SUNDAY, June 9.
Step1-b After completing this Course Orientation, begin Coursework for the class:
• Complete the Notes Packet for Ch.1 with your own handwriting -- by reading through the instructor powerpoints, or by watching the archive video (or by opening side by side windows and using both simultaneously)
• From the course menu, click "Do Homework" when you are ready to do the online homework and pencil & paper assignments for each chapter
• Repeat these steps for Notes & Homework for Chapter 2 - Chapter 4 (use the discussion board to post questions, email as needed)
• Bring photo ID, in person, to take Unit 1 Exam (Ch 1-4) on or before the scheduled Exam 1 date.
COURSE ORIENTATION VERIFICATION
(The following is available as a WORD document that can be printed or downloaded to your computer for completion.)
STAT 300 COURSE ORIENTATION: VERIFICATION FORM
Name: _______________________________ Student ID#_________________
email address: _____________________ Contact Phone#_________________
Have you taken an online class before? Yes No
If yes, please list:
Other online courses/at which college?
Do you have any health or learning problems (or other issues) I should be aware of?
Page 2: Task Completion Questions: Name______________________
To verify completion of the above tasks, answer each of the following questions.
1. Required Course Purchases: (For Questions #1-3 see "Course Syllabus")
a) REQUIRED ONLINE ACCESS CODE can be purchased two ways:
NOTE: Purchase of the printed textbook is optional, Access Code is required
2. REQUIRED Graphing Calculator for this course is: _______________
3. In Person Exam Policy: CRC Math Department requires that all Distance Ed students in transfer level classes take proctored exams, in person, with ____________
4. Exam Schedule: (See "Exams & Grading" or "Weekly Assignment Schedule")
• Exam 1 covers chapters _____ must be taken no later than ____________
• Exam 2 covers chapters _____ must be taken no later than ____________
• Exam 3 covers chapters _____ must be taken no later than ____________
• Final Exam is comprehensive & must be taken no later than ___________
5. Alternate Testing Date/Time: (see "Exams & Grading")
• If an unavoidable scheduling conflict arises, Exams can be only be taken earlier than the scheduled exam dates, by emailing the instructor at least 48 hours (2-days) in advance. (Friday testing will be available for those who contact the instructor for an "early exam" appointment)
6. Time Commitment: (See "Weekly Assignment Schedule")
The pre-semester information gives the following guidelines for time commitment to the course:
• All students can expect to spend two hours at home for each hour spent in class: 4 hours of lecture 8 hours of homework for a 4-unit class: ____ hours weekly for completing course lessons (Notes Packets) and homework. (Online students should expect the same time commitment)
• Each section will take __________for completing lecture notes packets, plus approximately ________ to complete the assigned homework
7. Assignments:(See "Assignment Policies" document)There are three types of assignments for each chapter:
• i. _______________________________________
• ii. _______________________________________
• iii. _______________________________________
8. What to bring to the first exam? (see "Exams & Grading")
• Completed Lecture Notes Packets for chapters:______
(These are filled in by the student in the student's own handwriting only)
• Pencil & Paper homework assignments: HW#___ HW#___ & HW#___
• A one page formula-sheet of notes to be used during the exam.
**Complete AFTER INSTALLATION on your HOME COMPUTER**
9. Notes Packets: The Chapter 1 Notes packet has a total of ____printed pages.
10. Powerpoint Slides: The title of the first slide for Chapter 1 is: ____________________________
11. Lecture Videos: Use the scroll bar at the bottom to advance the video to 46:18 The example being discussed from the Sac Bee front page was an article about_______________________________________________________
12. eBook: On what page number will you find: Chapter 5 > End of Chapter Material> Chapter Review? pg _______ .